Who We Are
A gender-equal world where all people achieve their sexual and reproductive health and rights.
To implement high-quality, gender-equitable programs that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights.
We know that sexual and reproductive health and rights are completely and inextricably intertwined with gender equality. We also know that marginalized groups—such as girls, women, and gender minorities; adolescents and youth; people with disabilities; economically disadvantaged groups; and rural and other hard-to-reach populations—are particularly vulnerable to discriminatory practices that can prevent them from leading healthy lives. But that can change. We believe that if all people are empowered and engaged; and if they live in supportive communities where systems and institutions provide high-quality, gender-equitable sexual and reproductive healthcare; and if policies, laws, and process are supportive, then they will exercise their rights to gender-equitable sexual and reproductive health services and participate as equal members of society.
See this presentation for more information on our global strategy.
To support our theory of change, EngenderHealth brings expertise in the following technical areas:
- Comprehensive sexuality education
- Contraceptive counseling and service delivery
- Comprehensive abortion care
- Maternal healthcare, including fistula prevention and treatment
- Basic emergency obstetric and newborn care
- Prevention and treatment of HIV/AIDS and other sexually transmitted infections
- Prevention, detection, and treatment of cervical cancer
- Prevention, screening, counseling, and related services for gender-based violence survivors
Experience and Impact
Our programming builds on the lessons learned and best practices gained through half a century of experience working in more than 100 countries around the world to support individuals, communities, and healthcare systems in delivering high-quality, gender-equitable programs and services that advance sexual and reproductive health and rights. Today, we are implementing programs in 13 countries across Asia and Africa.
In our 2019-2020 program year, EngenderHealth’s SRHR work had the following impact:
- 19,580 healthcare providers were trained
- 2.5 million people received their chosen method of contraception
- 851,000 people were directly educated on SRHR (in addition to those reached through mass media)
- 125,940 clients were reached with comprehensive abortion care / postabortion care services
- 1.15 million unsafe abortions were averted
- 4,700 maternal deaths were averted
- 4.2 million unintended pregnancies were averted
- $276,000,000 in direct healthcare costs were saved
As we work toward our vision, our strategy and our programs are built on the following values:
- Reflection: we question, challenge, learn, and adapt
- Inclusion: we are committed to equality, justice, and leaving no one behind
- Integrity: we are principled and honest, and we walk our talk
- Respect: we value the wisdom and agency of our collaborators, and appreciate our differences
- Transformation: we seek bold ideas and opportunities to innovate for progress