Choices in Family Planning
Informed and Voluntary Decision Making
EngenderHealth's tool kit of related job aids is designed to help users support individuals in making informed and voluntary family planning decisions. The first volume in the series "Realizing Rights in Sexual and Reproductive Health Services," Choices in Family Planning: Informed and Voluntary Decision Making is intended for use by a wide range of audiences in different family planning settings, including service providers, trainers, managers of service programs, managers and members of community-based organizations, policymakers, and donors.
Recognizing the gap between the rhetoric and the reality of informed choice, EngenderHealth developed an expanded conceptual framework for informed and voluntary sexual and reproductive health (SRH) decision making, which is the basis of this practical tool kit. Field-tested in several countries, Choices in Family Planning consists of four sections:
- The Introduction provides an overview of important concepts related to informed and voluntary decision making and of the conceptual framework that considers individual/community, service-delivery, and policy factors, and explains how to use the three tools separately or together.
- The Discussion Guide enables users to facilitate a broad discussion of the elements of and conditions that underpin informed choice.
- The Preliminary Assessment Guide enables users to assess the status of SRH decision making in a given program by identifying challenges and supporting factors.
- The Next Steps Guide enables users to plan strategies to strengthen supports for family planning clients' SRH decision making.
You can view or download the tool kit in its entirety by clicking on the first link below. Each section can also be viewed or downloaded individually.
Choices in Family Planning: Informed and Voluntary Decision Making
- View or download this publication (PDF, 372 KB)
- Title Page/Contents/Acknowledgments (PDF, 81 KB)
- Introduction (PDF, 136 KB)
- Discussion Guide (PDF, 140 KB)
- Preliminary Assessment Guide (PDF, 120 KB)
- Next Steps Guide (PDF, 109 KB)