Everyone has within them the power to make a difference, to help bring positive change to the lives of others. This simple truth guides EngenderHealth and its experts, who compiled the suggestions below for how anyone, anywhere can get involved.
- Read up about international women’s issues and stay informed. Visit web sites and news sources like PLANetWIRE, RH Reality Check, and Women’s eNews.
- Travel to developing countries, volunteer your time and talents, and learn.
- Sign up for Connect or become a member of EngenderHealth to get monthly updates on what’s going on in the reproductive health field and learn how you can get involved.
Spread the Word
- Start a book club with your friends and neighbors to discuss Half the Sky and take action—write a letter, donate to a worthy organization like EngenderHealth, or volunteer—or you can do all three!
- Raise awareness about global women’s health by hosting a talk at your church, temple, mosque, or community center. Make it a fundraiser and support an organization like EngenderHealth while inspiring others to learn more about women’s issues.
- If you’re a parent, educate your kids about girls’ and women’s rights. If you’re a student, tell your classmates and start a discussion group. If you’re a teacher, plan a lesson about what is happening globally.
- Host a bake sale or other fundraiser in your community, school, or workplace that will go toward a cause that you care about, like EngenderHealth.
- Write a letter to the editor of your local paper calling for more attention to women’s issues.
- Urge President Obama to nullify the “antiprostitution loyalty oath.”
- Write your Congressional representatives and urge them to support funding for international family planning and reproductive health.
Support Women’s Health Worldwide
- Invest in the future by investing in women. Give to EngenderHealth and know that your generosity will help transform lives for mothers, their families, and whole communities.
- Honor Dr. Allan Rosenfield, a pioneer in maternal health and former EngenderHealth Board member—make a donation in his memory to help improve maternal health around the world.
- Join EngenderHealth’s efforts to help transform the lives of women suffering from fistula: Donate now to the EngenderHealth Maternal Health Fund.